August 8, 2007

My Funny Grandma

My Grandma Neal came by for a short visit today. We sat around looking pictures and discussing random topics. One of the topics of discussion was her recent trip to Illinois. She kept raving about the giant vine-ripe tomatoes that grew in her brother's garden, and even made it a point to bring me a grocery sack filled with said tomatoes. After hearing about how great these tomatoes were I was eager make myself a tomato sandwich. There's just something especially great about home grown tomatoes. Shortly after she left I was grabbing everything I needed to make myself a tomato sandwich with those amazing vine ripe tomatoes my grandmother had been talking about. I got out my bread and slopped some mayonnaise on it. I reached into the bag of tomatoes, being careful to feel for the ripest one. I pluck an amazing yellow tomato from the bag and take it to the sink to be washed. I pulled the stem from the top of it and began rinsing my tomato. As I turned it over I noticed something terrible. Something that should never be on a home grown, vine ripe tomato. It was a produce sticker like the ones found on tomatoes from grocery stores. To make it even worse, the sticker was from a grower in California. I think she saved the home grown tomatoes for herself, and bought me some tomatoes from the grocery store down the street from her house, and then forgot to remove the produce stickers. I'm heartbroken. Good thing there's a farmers market open today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh no...that's a bummer! Maybe she just gave you the wrong bag?

Thanks for stopping by, btw!