April 2, 2007

Why do I feel so ashamed?

What is it about my decision to put school on hold that makes me feel ashamed? I know it was the right decision to make, but at the same time I feel like I'm being judged every time I say it out loud. I guess I feel like people will see me as a college dropout instead of as a student taking a break. Maybe it's because I've made snap judgements about other people in the past that have made the same decision, and thinking that they'd never return to school. It certainly doesn't help any that the older members in my family feel that having kids means I'm anchored to the house and should be nothing but a wife and mother. I certainly don't feel there's anything wrong with being a wife and mother, but I don't want for my identity to stop there. I love that right now I have the opportunity to be home and be 'just' a wife and mother, at the same time I'm really looking for that moment when I finally get to walk across the stage at my college commencement ceremony. I guess that leads to my other fear. What if I never go back to school? What if I decide that being 'just' a wife and mother is enough? I of course expect to still have an identity beyond those titles, but what if it isn't one that involves me being a college graduate? Will I forever be labeled as a college drop out or some sort of failure because I didn't meet or exceed the expectations of myself and others? Would it be enough that I'm a wonderful wife, mother, and person?

2 comments:

jolibe said...

Hi! I feel priveledged to have "happened" across your brand new blog. It's cool that this is your 2nd post and that I'm your first comment :)

I can relate to your situation. I am in the process of deciding to drop-out of the work force to be a SAHM (#2 is due in July). I try to keep telling myself that the choices I am making will be the best for me and my family. Afterall, your babies are only with you for such a short time, soon they will be "flying out of the nest" and off to school, etc.

I'm glad I found your blog and am looking forward to reading more...keep up the good work Mommy! :)

Mama Stina said...

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my little blog. :)