June 18, 2007

My Life Postpartum (continued)...

There's something I want to share with all expecting moms. It's something that wasn't shared with me, and I had to find out on my own, like many other women I've spoken with. Contractions don't end with giving birth. As your body works to return back to 'normal', your uterus contracts in order to return to its normal size. (In the final days of pregnancy, it is about 1,000x its original size). I've been told that if the baby is breastfeeding properly, it should cause more contractions while nursing. So, on top of the painful adjustment to breastfeeding a newborn with your poor nipples, your uterus acts like it's trying to force out another baby. I can't really fault anyone for not passing along this information, because it seems that when the amnesia sets in after the birth of a baby, this bit of information seems to be the first to go. I know I had this same pain with the birth of my first daughter, but had completely forgotten about it until after I had given birth to my second. It didn't take long for a memory boost either! When that first cramp hit, I was suddenly cured of my amnesia. Now that I have this written here, I have an advantage the next time I'm pregnant. I can look back here, and have a better recollection of what happens after childbirth. I know it doesn't change anything, but at least I'll remember enough to be warned, and maybe give other mothers to be a heads up.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Thanks for the reminder - lol. NO seriously, thanks. With Eli I had to be sure I was 'covered' because the contrax while nursing caused me to bleed a LOT more than I would the rest of the time. I basically had to use a new pad each time I sat down to nurse (sorry - TMI). You can see how some women don't find nursing appealing now, I guess :)